Guestxxxx conscripted blogger: Mark
Brigid and Susan Irving took Margaret and Caroline to Queenstown today, leaving "the boys" to appreciate everything that the moms take care of. We survived the school pick ups, managed to find some sustenance for dinner (thanks, in part, to a bakery that *gave us* some meat pies they were about to throw away because they were closing), and I got the younger ones in bed by 9:00. The greatest challenge so far has been getting something posted to the blog before midnight, and given that I'm pecking this in "live", even that is not yet a certainty.
So what did the boys do while the girls were away? Something manly, of course, involving the shooting of projectiles at targets. Yes, we visited the local archery range. Of course I forgot to take a camera (oblivious to the to-do list at the house that included "blog !"), but fortunately they let us keep our targets. So here's mine. A colleague at U Redla
nds who teaches spatial statistics would have a field day with this, and probably conclude that the holes are not statistically different from random (p < .05), but I'm proud of it nonetheless. What she can't see appreciate from this image is the distribution of all the arrow holes *beyond the edges* of the square target. They prove (p = .999812) that I did indeed get closer to the center of the target as the hour progressed.
nds who teaches spatial statistics would have a field day with this, and probably conclude that the holes are not statistically different from random (p < .05), but I'm proud of it nonetheless. What she can't see appreciate from this image is the distribution of all the arrow holes *beyond the edges* of the square target. They prove (p = .999812) that I did indeed get closer to the center of the target as the hour progressed. With apologies to spatial statisticians everywhere, especially my friend Gary Gaile (UC Boulder), -Mark
1 comment:
Mark, I guess you owe Brigid a big hug and kiss when she gets home, for all the things she takes care of. :)
Post a Comment