I’m a newbie on the bus (aka "The Orbiter"), and it shows. Although my daughter thinks I’m an expert because I’ve been taking it for two months now, and I recently figured out how to check the internet for the real-time bus locations and forecast arrival times so I know just when to leave the house, I’m really still a newbie.

This morning I was sitting comfortably in my favourite seat – in the second row of the back half, up two steps from the main section with a good view, but not in that first row which is a bulkhead and has minimal legroom. I was on the left side because the weather’s pleasant (on a cold day I would be on the right side, by that box on the floor which blasts parched air hot enough to fry chips). The differences are mostly cultural. It took me a week to notice, and then believe, that everyone – even the high school kids -- were shouting “Thanks!” to the bus driver as they exited. Today I was one of about 20 on the bus when I realized that every single other rider was in a window seat, not an aisle seat. And they weren’t doing that for the good views out the window, but rather as a courtesy to other riders who might need a seat -- they even had all of their backpacks/bags/papers entirely within their own space. I sheepishly gathered my bag and books together and shifted over to the window seat. I hope I remember to do it tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment