One thing I cannot get used to, though, is the lack of courtesy given to pedestrians. At most intersections, cars are only required to “give way” or yield to other cars if turning. Very different from the U.S. where we’re required to come to a stop in most cases and let people on foot cross. This is especially disconcerting around the kids’ schools where many parents don’t appear to slow down much even when there are children around. That fact is one of the main reasons I’m extremely reluctant to let William and Margaret walk to school on their own – I haven’t let them do it yet.
We *have* discovered what we now call “magic crosswalks.” I’m sure that the Kiwis don’t call them that, but the Kumlers have taken to using that name for them because cars really do stop when you stand by the side of the road at a “magic crosswalk.” It’s quite fun to have cars actually stop for you! You know that you’ve found a magic crosswalk when you see a pair of black-and-white striped poles topped with bright orange balls. Some magic crosswalks have orange balls that illuminate at night. These crosswalks can't be found at every intersection, and are more likely to be seen mid-block. I caution the kids to still make sure that cars are stopping before they venture out onto the road. They’ve worked – just like magic – so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment