Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gettin’ around

Beckenham Primary School is located on the floodplain of the Heathcote River, which makes the surrounding area quite flat. For many families, this means that they are able to walk, ride bikes, or scooter to school. Walking and riding bikes to school are not so unusual in the States, but I was really surprised by the number of kids that scooter to school. As I walk the kids to school, I see a huge variety of ages scootering to school. Just last week we watched a little girl who was probably only three-years-old screaming down the street like a bat-out-of-h*** (pardon the expression).

The school has even installed special scooter stands and bins for the kids to use once they’re at school. Here are a couple of pictures of the scooters in bins and stands. Unfortunately, it was raining the morning of the day we decided to take pictures of the stands, so they’re not as full as usual. The wooden bin for scooters is located in the cloakroom of William’s classroom (how cool is it that they have a cloakroom???). The day I took this picture, class was just letting out. One of the scooters belonged to a girl in his class that said, “Oh wow! I think I’ll just wait awhile...” Her scooter was obviously on the bottom of the pile buried beneath several others.

No comments: