Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Technicraft

Guest blogger William

Every Tuesday, all Year 7 & 8 classes from Beckenham travel to South Intermediate School for Technicraft. We attend two different classes each time. So far I have had art, sewing, and cooking.



Last term in art I was working on Pacifica art designs. The basic shape is a square or rectangle, usually with an X through the centre. The designs mimic shapes seen in nature. We made ceramic tiles with Pacifica designs. I chose to do a dolphin. We put small glass pieces to add color and shine to the finished tile. This term we are using Pacifica patterns for printing. For the prints, we have used foam-core and etched designs with a pencil. We will add progressively to the etched foam-core for the next 2 lessons, printing the results each time.


This term in art we also created a super hero and drew him in several poses. Our teacher is having us create a deck of cards featuring different poses of the super hero.

Last term, in sewing, I created a doll from a pattern and fabric. I also made clothes for my doll and even embroidered a tree on his shirt. I gave him button eyes, an embroidered mouth, and attached a bit of wool for hair. I named my doll “I Don’t Know” after being pressed into deciding a name quickly. I think this was my favourite class.

In cooking, we have made mashed potatoes, mashed kumara (like sweet potatoes), mashed pumpkin, stewed apple in custard, and apple crumble. My favourite was apple crumble because of sharp contrast between sour apples and sweet crumble. At home I have made all of the “mashes.” My family probably liked the mashed pumpkin best.

Here’s the recipe for mashed pumpkin:

Ingredients: pumpkin, brown sugar, cream, orange zest, orange juice, and cinnamon

Directions: Peel and cube a small pumpkin. Place in medium saucepan , cover with water, then boil until soft. Drain the pumpkin. Mash. Then add 2 T brown sugar, 2 T cream, zest and juice of 1 orange, and a dash of cinnamon. Mix well and serve still hot.

No comments: